Wednesday 16 May 2012

DESIGN PRACTICE. END OF MODULE EVALUATION


1. What skills have You developed throughout this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? 

The first brief that we had in this module was Kessels 'Rain' poster and it was our first live brief so the first one that had to have exact file sizes sent out, it was the first time I had to fit into a briefs requirements so accurately otherwise it could have just not been sent. I was also quite surprised how much work can be done in only few weeks time while having design sessions and other modules running. Though it wasn't the first time I used a drawing tablet but it was for sure the first time I used hand rendered type and made three posters out of hand rendered type. I was really proud of the final pieces that I produced in only one week time and after the final crit I did some changes to one of the posters and sent that one out. I'm still trying to learn a new technique or skill in each brief we do. I think that's teh only way I can actually take the best I can from this degree. 
The second module started off quite well. I never get too exited about group brief but this time we could choose partners and I was really keen for it (later it will not be the best decision I made). The first week the wok was going well but we miss-interpreted the brief and decided to do a type-foundry as a proposal of what we could do. But after a week in the crit we found out that we need to change the whole thing and than when all the group fall-out began. I always thought the the biggest challenge for me is to work in a group but never thought it can be that hard especially when you choose the people yourself. I guess Amber was right it might not be the best idea to work with friends. But if you never make the mistake you will never learn, right? I think after this brief I learned that people should not be doing a brief if they have negative feelings. 
The third module was 'Stamp it' and I was really exited about this brief because it meant that the group brief was over. I looked into this brief a lot, I did a lot of research a lot of thought development and I think I should have thought about the design itself a bit more. I liked the idea that I came up with but I don't think I did the best I could with the design and again because of my desire to experiment as much as I can throughout this first year. I thought I should do it in photoshop all pixelised and I didn't go as a I planed to because I forgot to check the file size and the stamps were too small. So I learned that you should never forget to check the file size and spend more on thinking about the designs and maybe sometimes experimenting shouldn't come first, communication should. 
The last brief 'it's your choice' was amazing! I loved every part of it. It was hard work but it started me off again. Till this brief it felt a bit like a down-fall because everything I did I didn't like it as much but after this brief I actually learned that 'putting the best foot forward is the key to success and happiness. I learned that all the hard work is always rewarded. Till this brief I never felt so happy about any of the outcomes. And I learned that sometimes the right way is the wrong way. I also read and looked at loads of design books and I went out to look for my next project just by wondering around Leeds and meeting new people. I also learned that I LOVE doing installations that I love all the projects that require craft in preparing it. I also realised that I am really organised and not afraid of going and asking for the things I need to do the final project. I think after this brief I feel more confident about the things I do. 

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I learned that paper can become 3D and than 2D again, I learned that sometimes shifting from one dimension to atoner might lead to really interesting final piece. I also learned that studio lights might make the effect of an image  look way better. I learned how to use a drawing tablet and how to adopt it by manipulating type and image. I improved illustrator, photoshop and indesign skills. I realised that brainstorming is the best way to get all the bad ideas out and see the good ones. I also realised that I NEED a notebook for out-doors. It's also important to take your design-thinking head outside and just open your eyes and look around, sometimes the best ideas are just in-front of you. I also learned that timing al the steps of design process from day one is the best idea because then you don't get stuck. And if You have any doubts about the project (or even if 4 people have) go and ASK. I learned that if you fall behind it's too hard to take that step back and start from nowhere. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on them?

I think I realised that I can actually do way more with my time and have a social life as well and I really learned that time planing is the most important skill you can learn in life. I know I still need to learn a lot or manage my projects even better but for the last few weeks I've just made so much out of my time because I planned it, I think that's a strength. I feel that the strongest piece in this module was my last piece 'it's your choice' and I think by doing it I proved myself that if I want and put my head into it I can complete anything I set myself to. I really like when I might not have much time but I have a clear idea of what I'm doing and I released that I'm really passionate for installations and any craft related design. After doing the last project I will always think first 'what can't I do I should do'. In the future I would like to do more installations (I already know I want to do one with laser cut) and experiment more with dimensional design and photography. I think I get really exited if I set the bar higher than I think I could do of course in reasonable time and amounts. I also enjoyed doing hand rendered type, i the future I might do more of that. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I think the biggest weakness that I realised that I have is dealing with  people having absolutely different opinions and not listening, I think in the group brief it was the first time that at one point I just had given up (for a day) and I think the next time I would like to be a leader of the group and I shouldn't be afraid to say it loud,  because I need organisation and strong decision making and I cannot rely on other people to make those decisions. I realised that if I have no direction - I get lost and confused. I also think that my 'stamp it' brief wasn't the strongest one (from the design side) as I already pointed out earlier I really need to think communication THAN experimentation. And I should make considerate decissions about the software that I'm going to use for certain briefs.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Never be in a group with the people you get along with outside college by doing that I think I would gain less-stress and maybe if anything goes wrong you won't feel as lonely because you would still have whom to talk about and moan about the decisions that you might not like at the certain moment. And hopefully in the future I will know who from  our year I can work well in the future group briefs.
2. Time every step of the design process that helps to not get stuck and depressed, if the idea is not working leave it and move on and leave time for failure by doing that I could actually avoid that much stress. 
3. Every brief is a challenge be brave and might it become a virus that when you end it you would feel that something is missing. I think from now on I will always treat every single brief as a challenge and firstly think of the impossible that helps to achieve some amazing outcomes and show the skills you really have. 
4. Have fun but don't forget to work double. After the last brief I realised that working hard is essential in this industry but its also important to find different inspiration and motivation sources because if you always dig in the same place - you get bored and that is one thing I think designers need to avoid. If you're exited about the project you're doing - you will never feel tired or overloaded with to do lists. 
5. Communication first than apply the experimentation. First things are first it's easy to get lost if you get too experimental and wanting to break the rules, you are in education, learn than break rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment