Tuesday 22 May 2012

CONTEXT OF PRACTICE. SELF-EVALUATION.


1. What skills have You developed throughout this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them? 

I learned to critically analyse different parts of art and design in Richard sessions. This year was the first year I had to write a critical essay, the difficulty for me was the language. I also started to appreciate constructivist design, because I grew up in an environment where we had loads of examples of it and I have never thought that it can be as interesting. As well I learned to analyse different aesthetic, personal and social problems and concerns in Jo's sessions. I took away so many methods of approaching a problem or dealing with it. Throughout the sessions I learned a bit more about myself as a designer and a person. The lectures thought me a lot of new things that I did not know before and in a different range of subjects. In the last brief I developed a systematic approach to the publication that had to come from our critical studies. Putting theory into practice wasn't the easiest thing, it was hard. The hardest thing was to find the content and deal with the problem that I chose. It was also hard to narrow the problem down, whenever you are given creative freedom it becomes harder to choose the right problem, come up with the ONE idea and develop it into a publication but still not to forget that the content is as important as the design itself.

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I developed a critical and analytical approach to design. I learned to collect content and make it into a publication which was quite a challenge. I have never practiced this kind of approach before. I think it was challenging but it made it more fun to find out stuff. I think it's really systematic and the process is enjoyable. Though I did realise that with this kind of approach you can easily get stuck in the research process. Also making the decision of the problem you want to choose by looking at all the lectures and sessions we had is quite hard and maybe at some points a bit confusing. I learned how to put theory into practice and I learned the whole method on how to do that. 


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on them?

I think my publication ended up not as quite as I expected but still quite good. I really enjoyed thinking how can I make it more interactive or more interesting to read. This was the first project where I had to figure out in what order everything will go and how it will work together. I think the acetate idea was quite interesting tho I realised that I should leave a bit more time for failing, because at this point I was quite stressed and scared that I won't be able to book-bind it at the right time or print out at the right time. I learned that if You have an idea and don't know how to make it happen it's always a good idea to ASK. It also took me good managing skills to make this publication happen and look as professional as I wanted it to be, I'm really glad that my task management has improved.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I think I should have tried the estate earlier and than maybe I would have made it work as a one sided print and not double sided. I also wish I could have written the content by myself but that would have taken me ages just because I'm writing in not my native language. Tho I think the decision to choose the content that already exist was really reasonable and the right one. I also would have embossed the cover rather than gluing but that as a quick decision I had to make and I think it works well, of course not as well as embossed would have. I do realise I got stuck in the research process way too long and left not as much time to actually work on the designs. 

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Don't choose a topic so soon. Think about it and write ALL the possible topics and outcomes you could do and THAN choose. Than I won't be too worried about questioning the topic I chose for the final piece.
2. PLAN AND ACT AT THE RIGHT TIME. I know there were a lot of briefs going on but I think I need to start doing everything at the right time not when I finish one brief. I need to get out of the habit finishing one brief and only than going to another. If I looked at all the briefs for two hours in one day I think I could have done better.
3. Leave time for failure. I need to start leaving time for failing, because I like doing that a lot, I think that's the only way to lear and discover. I'm not afraid to take risks and experiment which is good, but I need to start leaving time for the failures and if something doesn't end up the way I expected, than I can actually re-do or correct it. 
4. ASK QUESTIONS if Your not too sure what you should be doing. I'm really trustful with people but I need to start asking the right questions of the right people. 
5. GET EXITED. I felt that I lack motivation for this brief, it might only be because of all the deadlines or maybe the last project really took the best of me, but anyways in the future I know that the key to success is to GET EXITED about the brief. I know that because of the last brief we had and just because I enjoyed it so much I came up with the outcome I was happy about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment