Thursday 16 February 2012

PPP TASK 4

Your task is to review your blogs, your research, your work and your experiences to date. Having done this you are asked to identify:
  • 10 things that you have learned about yourself as an individual and as learner. These should reflect your personal development and individual journey since the start of the program.
  • 10 things that you have learned about yourself as a designer. These should reflect your growing awareness of your own interests within graphic design as a subject, discipline and profession.
Each of your 20 reflections should be summerised in a short but informative statement and 'illustrated' by using appropriate visual material.

10 Things that I learned about myself (as an individual and as a learner):
1. Devoted. Dedicated to the course.
I learned that I can be really devoted and dedicated. Mondays are no longer my hate days because I love going to uni. Sunday became the worst day - there is no uni on sunday. Sometimes I feel that I have no life but than I change my thinking and realize that college has become such a big part of my life. I like all the briefings, the sessions and the lectures. Trying to enjoy everything in uni while I'm still a student. Of course trying to get the best of it out. Even staying for 12 hours in college doesn't seem a drag anymore. 


2. Get exited when I learn a new skill.
During this term I learned so many software and design skills and new ways of thinking and approaching  designs. Every time I learned something new - I've got that 'bzzz' inside. I really enjoy discovering new  things. The best thing I learned yet is screen-printing. I think it's amazing. I'm usually quite scared of workshop areas. They just look too scary for me. But here in Leeds college of Art staff is just amazing. They really help you trough so many things. I already feel more confident in anything I come up with. I always know there are going to be people that going to help me learn something new. So I'm not scared anymore and I cannot wait to learn even more things. 



3. English has improved. 
I have been going to English support classes that have helped me with my writing and general english skills. I still have a long way to go. But I feel better talking in English now than I did before. All the course mates are really supportive as well. So are the tutors. I think my living with english people have helped me develop my english skills.



4. I have better communication skills than I thought I had.
When I arrived to Leeds, I didn't know anyone and was quite scared that i won't be able to make friends. But the people in Leeds are just so friendly and welcoming. I managed to get over my language boundary and get to know quite a lot of people. 



5. I can survive a 12 hour day in college.
I think the studio environment that we have is worth using. I can concentrate more there and less procrastinate. I feel good when I come back after a full-working day. I feel that it was productive. In the evening the college gets quite as well. I don't have a mac back home and I do like learning new things on the mack. In college I also have everything I need. I rather leave stuff there and bring it back and forth all the time. 



6. Better money-management skills.
After doing a project about time-management I learned a lot of great tips for myself. It seems that procrastination is one of the hardest things to overcome but it is possible. Still working on that last one. As a comparison to last year I think my time-management has definitely improved. Of course there is always more to learn and you can always get better at anything even more. I feel that I do more work than I used to. 



7. Manage to keep in touch with friends and family back home.
The college is keeping us really busy but I still try to keep in touch with my friends that are not in leeds and not in England. I don't really have time to miss them because of the intense course work load. Sometimes I find myself not talking lithuanian for a week or to. To me it's quite a lot. But now I keep that harmony between college work and socializing.




8. Got obsessed with graphic design. Type. Grid. Feel like a nerd.
Trough all the design principle lessons we had I learned so much about type and grid and layout an colours that my friends don't understand a word I say. They say this course had made me quite nerdy. I do like finding out more interesting things about fonts and all other nerdy graphic design things. 




9. Cannot work in a mess. Tidy.
I learned that I'm a really tidy person because I have to organize all my stuff in the drawer and my room is always tidy if it's not I cannot work. 



10. People you live with affect your lifestyle.
Las year I wasn't too happy about the room-mates I had. Actually I hated living with them. The people I lived with were too bossy and grumpy all the time. It got my mood down. Now I realize that it's important who you live with. It's important to choose good room-mates that will have something in-common with you. Best if it's the shame shared in interests.




10 things I learned about myself ( as a designer):

1. Feel more confident using adobe software. 
2. Realized that design process is a never ending circle. 
3. You can always develop your design further.
4. Screen printing is really fun.
5. Discovered new designers and design studios that did not know before.
6. Not afraid of workshops anymore.
7. Got better at presentation skills.
8. Better time-management than at the beginning of the course.
9. Working in the studio is better than working at home.
10. Sharing ideas with course mates helps developing them further..


No comments:

Post a Comment