Wednesday 28 September 2011

MAX KISMAN (something I came across)

I found his poster in Typography Design: Form and communication by Rob Carter, Ben Day and Philip Meggs. I found it really interesting.
I was doing some research about type. Looking trough the book hoping to find something I could relate to. Though I didn't find what I was looking for, but still this poster attracted  my eye. I was wondering was it the simplicity, the colour or the type that made the poster stand out. I really like that the composition reminds me of a triangle. The front is bold but every letter  relates to a symbol.
 
          Source: http://www.hollandfonts.com/FRE02.html

Max Kisman: In a paper bag, I save all kinds of small objects, which somehow make me think of letters or otherwise intreguing symbols. Cardboard hands for gloves holders, plastic bread bag clips. hinges, can openers, spark plugs, wooden ice cream sticks or ice cream spoons, nails, file separators, fishing weights, and so on.

Shapes, now out of context, which have lost their meaning. They are orphans of an forgotten language.

The WE LOVE YOUR font is an experimental set of characters derived from my 1986 TYP/Typografisch Papier contribution "What every Dutch boy carries in his pockets", an alphabet composed of small found objects. I used this idea in an extended form for my typography workshop “A LETTER CAN BE ANYTHING CAN BE A LETTER”, at the CCA, San Francisco, June 2003
.

No comments:

Post a Comment