Tuesday 24 April 2012

DESIGN PRINCIPLES. EVALUATION.

 1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have learned a lot about typography and how delicate and important it is to choose the right typeface. During Lorenzo's session I learned a lot about grid and I will never do a magazine or a spread or any kind of graphical piece without a grid ever again. I also notice the kerning anywhere I go now. I also enjoyed all the photography and colour theory tasks and sessions. I realised that I know more about photography than I thought I did. It was also useful because we had inductions in the photography studios which is always a help and I realised that You really need to spend time on the photos because it's going to be the thing that is going to represent the work and quality. I always spend more time on taking pictures of my final pieces after those sessions. I think  applied a lot of skills that I learned already. During the colour theory I learned about pantone colours that I have never heard before and realised how important it is to know the code of the colour in order to communicate with print facilities that might not be in the same country as you are. As well I realised how colours can effect each other. And a red might not look as red with a darker red. I already notice the background that I decide to picture my pieces in. because it can effect how the work looks and the good features that might come out with different background on. Of course the light is important as well we experimented with different lights in the photography studio and I couldn't believe how much it changes the angle or the colour and of course clarity. I actually think that after every session I learned and developed an understanding of something new that effected the change of my graphical understanding as well as a practised experience throughout other modules. I think every design principle session effected an other module task that I was doing at the same time. I also enjoyed the sessions because of how they were built to be in groups or in pairs because than you can help others or they can help you by explaining things that they might have gotten faster than you did. 

2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? 

I have learned to look at design in a more analytical way than before coming on this course. It makes way more sense now than it did before. Before I learned the basic principles of graphic design I thought of it as 'making something pretty' but now I can see the influence that graphic design makes to the world and I realise that it's more about the message and communication. I think the principles helped me develop my understanding of design and how it works and how can we make it work. Every task that i did after any design principles session I was aware of the things that we learned in design principles and applied them to other modules. I also learned to always be aware of the colour, type, layout choice and format. There are many things that I still need to get used of using and applying but I think once it's in my head it's always there to re-think and consider in any graphical piece I do in the future. 

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think I should explore more possibilities with photography and maybe look into craft and exploring 3D objects because I really enjoyed the session with Amber where we had to built up a typeface so it would be 4 dimensional. Thos I still haven't have the opportunity And I'm quite patient to do crafty designs I proved that by doing  'what is a line' brief in a small scale by exploring folding, craft  and print possibilities. I also enjoy doing thumbnails tho I must say it takes me ages to do few design sheets of thumbnails so maybe I should try to improve on the timing. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I know I said this many times before but I should improve on my time management or more specifically TASK management. The next time I will make sure that the on-going tasks are not left in the background, I will consider them more carefully and plan a specific time to re-visit them constantly. I also think that typography is not my strongest part but you learn every day and hopefully I will improve throughout the years. And one thing I learned trough time spend here don't trust your former self because she might not have uploaded the stuff you thought she did because she does it now. I think in all the tasks I could have done more but on the other hand I applied all the learned skills and methods to other modules. 

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Improve on task management. I expect to manage my briefs and leave time for the on-going modules that kind of fade into the background. 
2. Blog constantly.  I think I already improved on this feature but this module lasted throughout the year and former me did not do it well at the beginning.
3. Explore photographic and diminutional features more and apply them to my design. I'm hopping to experiment as much as I can on the first year and if needed fail and fail again but at least I know I did something rather than just playing it the easy and safe way. So I could  be sure not to do the same mistakes on the second year.
4. Analyse in order to understand and learn in order to know. I should have spent more time analysing principles. In the future that might help me to develop a stronger concept and outcome.
5. Buy a major note-book that could fit in every day information and would last me the whole year. I think than I would not loose my notes and some of the pieces if I used a big note-pad for all notes that should help my memory and keeping on track more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment